Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Alta is for skiers


Yesterday morning as I peeked through my heavy eye-lids at the morning light coming through the blinds, Sean's grinning face came into view. "Guess what! We're going skiing!" He was practically bouncing with joy while I still lay there half asleep trying to comprehend what he just told me. After a few minutes I was really excited too. So we dropped Peter off at Oma and Opa's house and set off to Alta ski resort!

What a perfect day for skiing! The blue skies and crisp air were so refreshing. And the slopes were perfect. I honestly don't think I have ever enjoyed skiing so much in my life - and I have skied a lot over the course of my lifetime. I have never known how big and beautiful Alta is either! I was really surprised that there was a lot of land up there that I had never even seen.

One of my favorite parts of skiing is talking to interesting people while we ride the lifts. There are all kinds of people: tall fathers teaching their children about "the wedge", plump women with southern accents, 20 year old hippies with dreads, and Asian business men with sweet skis.
We met one man from England who was staying at the Goldminer's Daughter for 3 weeks and skiing every day! He said he had been in the French Alps for two weeks already this season. Ahh...the life of retirees. He sported these incredible sunglasses:

His were much, much older and silver and brown instead of black. He said he's used them for the past 13 years when he comes to Alta with his ski club chums. Basically every other word he said was, "Yeasch, yeasch...." (Yes, yes, but with a very toothy British accent.)

I've gotta get me some of those stellar shades. Then at least when I get sunburned while skiing I won't have a "raccoon burn". Sean didn't wear a hat, so he got burned on his forehead in addition to the raccoon burn. But the ridiculous looking sunburns are all worth it because we had so much fun!

3 comments:

  1. That looks so beautiful! And fun! Dan has been skiing twice this year but I have had to stay home with Violet. Maybe next year for me :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Garrett is jealous. Skiing isn't one of my favorite past times, but Garrett informs me that once MaKenzie is old enough for skis and he is strapping me in too . . . yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Alta! I have only been once this season too. I wish we had the finances to go several times! It is the best feeling. It's quiet, you feel free, and it's just so much fun!

    ReplyDelete