Friday, September 11, 2009

Munich Day 3

Thursday, September 10th 2009
We started out the day with a walk to the English Garden to find the Chinesischer Turm (Chinese Tower).

On the way, Peter found an Italian colored Lion to sit on! They have these plastic lions all over town that are painted in all kinds of ways. This one was in front of an Italian Cafe. If the lion were in front of an ice cream parlor, he would probably be standing up holding an ice cream cone and wearing painted with clothes and maybe a hat. Maybe the lion is a symbol for Bavarai? or Munich? Either way, it's fun to see all the different ones throughout town.

We saw the police riding through the English garden on horses! How cool is that! It made me feel like we were in the setting of some Jane Austen book.


We found the Chinese Tower (it was closed) but luckily there was a great park right next door!

Peter loves to go to the parks here. Well, he loves to go to the park anywhere. But it's fun to be here and find new parks. We had a picnic while Peter ran around playing, and then we set off to find some ice cream! And we found a great little place just around the corner from our hotel where you can get really delicious gelato on a waffle cone for about $1.

After naptime, we headed out to find this grocery store place that is in the bottom of the mall by the Hauptbahnhof. Sean and I remembered going there when we were here visiting my parents on their mission a couple years ago. We only had ONE diaper left for Peter, so we desperately needed to find a place that sold them. We walked and walked and walked. Then we found the Kaufhof where we thought the grocery store was. So we walked around inside, and walked and walked. And got lost and couldn't find what we were looking for. It was so confusing! Everything is connected underground by the train tunnels. There are shops underground, and subways, and escalators, and everything is so confusing - - especially when you are tired. But Sean is really good at directions and eventually we found this mysterious grocery store. It had a huge sign over all the walls and front door that basically said they were closed for remodeling. So, yeah. That was really sad. So we walked around trying to find dinner. I was so tired and starving and really burnt out from walking so much. Then we walked some more. Then Sean bought us cherry filled pastries and I felt a little better. Cherry filled pastries just make the day brighter!

We looked and looked for someplace to eat dinner. We found this cool restaurant at the top of the mall that had a great view over the city and the food wasn't too pricey. So I got us Schnitzel, Potatoes, some kind of noodle dish, and Chocolate mousse cake! yum! I brought the food back to Sean and our tired, loud, children and found Peter swinging the table lamp around and smudging his nose against the windows. Augh! As I was sitting down to finally relax and get some food in my growling tummy, Sean remembered that he had an online meeting 20 minutes from then and we had to hurry and find an internet cafe or something. Augh! We stuffed the food into our mouths and ran outside looking for a place we could get an internet connection. The babies were crying, I was grumpy, and Sean was stressed about being able to get to the meeting. Finally he was able to get a connection. After a while, and more walking, we were able to finally find a grocery store and buy diapers. Then we opted to take the train home because we were just SO tired. Wow - I think we probably walked 10 miles. Ugh. We all slept really well last night though!

2 comments:

  1. I love reading about your adventures! What a beautiful city, I'm so glad you guys are taking this trip so I can live vicariously through your experiences... at least for now.

    PS I get REALLY grumpy when I'm hungry, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to love reading about all your adventures (and un-adventures) in Germany. Perhaps I'll live vicariously through you this month. :) Traveling is always both exciting and stressful. The food sounds wonderful! And I'm loving all your amazing pictures! I can't wait for more. Plus, you are so brave for bringing two babies with you!

    PS I just noticed I wrote a lot of the same as the post above. haha Must be true!

    ReplyDelete