Monday, September 15, 2008

Ich kann Deutsch

I can German. Speak it, that is.

Sean and I decided to sit in on a German class at BYU this semester in order to freshen up our skills. I grew up hearing/understanding German because my dad spoke with me in his native tongue. Sean, on the other hand, has taken one semester of German 101 in his life, and he understands the grammar better than me! He's so amazing. He says that because he learned/spoke Spanish on his mission he's been better able to understand German. Amazing!

I'm glad I have him around to help me understand. This week is the first time in my life that this certain concept of German grammar has clicked in my brain. I love having those "Aha!" moments! (Sadly they don't happen as often as they used to...I'm blaming "mommy brain"). It's so nice to be learning again. I never thought I'd miss school, but now that I've been graduated for 2 1/2 years, it's really fun to walk around campus and feel academic once more.

Hopefully Sean and I will be fluent by the time this semester has ended, because we will be going to Germany shortly thereafter! Yes folks, that's right - if all goes as planned we will be making our way across the ocean to the land of my ancestors and we'll be living there for about one year. We aren't sure on the specifics, but we will be living in southern Germany so we can be close to the Black Forest. Here are some pictures to show you how beautiful it is there and to convince you to come visit us! (I wish I could say I took these):

Froschgasse, Tubingen, Germany by J. Alan Constant

Mill in Blaubeuern, Germany. Photo by J. Alan Constant

Wimbachklamm stream in German Alps
http://www.dkimages.com/discover/previews/927/50541423.JPG

Neuschwanstein Schloss in Hohenschwangau, Germany
http://z.about.com/d/architecture/1/7/U/i/Neuschwanstein.jpg

4 comments:

  1. WHAT!?! You are leaving us for Germany? That is so crazy! but so exciting for you guys. What made you decide to do this? What are you going to do while you're there? And what will you be doing when you come back?

    Wow, lots of questions, sorry... but I am so shocked! and excited for you guys, of course. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dito to jessie! That's a shock, and yet not, because I know you guys have wanted to do something like this. I'm excited you get to do it, although we will really miss you after you leave! You can give us pointers on moving across the world for when J finishes and we get to do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cool opportunity! I've been over there a few times and it is so beautiful. And there are so many neat places to see all so close by. I have some family out there and they LOVE it and never want to come back tot he states lol. What will you guys be doing out there?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Catherine, that is so neat that you guys will get to live in Germany. What an incredible experience that will be! I can't wait to visit. :)

    ReplyDelete