Wow. Well, right now I am missing Munich. But tomorrow will be better :)
Here's how today went down:
- woke up at 6 am
- had the best sleep EVER (well, this week) because the kids were like 15 feet away from me instead of 3
- groggily convinced myself to actually roll out of bed and get ready
- rushed around getting stuff ready to leave
- hopped on the train to Vienna at 8am
- train was AWESOME: we had our own personal room and we all had great naps
- found our way through the winding streets of Vienna to our apartment
- this is where it gets hairy....
- lugged all our stuff up stairs and narrow passageways into the landlord's office where he had us sit for 45 min. while we waited for his dad to come give us the key
- both kids got poopy diapers (Jackson exploded!) and were crying and couldn't touch anything or move around because we were crammed into a very un-child-proofed-office
- Discovered the interned didn't work, so that's really sad (Sean has to have it for work, and I have to have it for sanity)
- Landlord guy is really weird....
- Climbed up a gazillion stairs to our apartment on the 4th floor
- Landlord guy says, "Oh great - my brother who was living here didn't clean at all..."
- Landlorg (will give him a nick-name) starts vacuuming, mopping, telling me not to move anything, here's how to open the windows, don't put stuff on the floor, the washing machine is broken, always lock the door because there are burglaries, oh and no one knows how to make the microwave work, and there's a list on the wall about all the rules INCLUDING open the windows for 10 minutes every day to let the apartment air out. Augh! Did I just sign a contract with this guy?!
- Landlorg's mom (a really nice old lady) told me she would do my laundry, so she took our suitcase full of stinky clothes and brought back clean wet clothes so we could hang them up on our awesome drying rack (pictures to follow)
- Sean fixed the internet! Yay! He's the hero of the universe!
- Kids tired and hungry.
- Sean and Catherine tired. and hungry.
- Old Lady brings Peter a big box of toys and he thinks that's pretty nifty. So do I.
- Sean figured out the microwave! Yay! He's the hero of the galaxy!
- Catherine moved some furniture and Landlorg got mad.
- We decided to get out and find some dinner. Bought yummy Gyro sandwiches and some groceries.
- Kids tired and grumpy.
- Catherine tired and grumpy. Sean (who is amazing and never gets grumpy) has to have an online meeting for work.
- Kids screaming and Landlorg shows up again and the nice old lady ...why?...no one knows - they just come to the apartment all the time! They were both looking for something they thought they left in here I guess....
- Finally all the landlorg people go away and I am able to calm Peter down and put him to bed. It's really quite the ordeal when he is grumpy. Poor kid. Jackson just falls asleep as soon as his tummy is full.
- Ahh...peace and quiet.
I'll see about posting some pictures later. All my stuff is in the room where Peter is sleeping and I really don't want to wake him up :)
Good night! Wish us luck for tomorrow! I'm pretty sure we are in the ghetto of Vienna, so hopefully we don't get mugged or something...(just kidding Mom!)
Sorry to hear about the unpleasantness of your Vienna apartment. Sounds like they don't get many renters outside their own extended family. I hope you get a big discount, especially since Sean FIXED every blasted thing in it!
ReplyDeleteGo ahead and gain a few pounds on that rich German food for me! Yummm!!! It looks like you guys are having fun exploring. Sorry to hear about the nasty apartment. But it's just a few weeks, right? It'll be an adventerous few weeks, but I think you're capable of making it work. What's a foreign trip without a little adventure?
ReplyDelete