Wednesday, January 16, 2008

The Official Explanation and History of Near-Rhymes


Two words that almost rhyme--but not quite. They sort of make your brain twist up for a moment and you think, "wait a minute...that's not..." but then a moment later you find the phrase to be quite refreshing. This equals a near-rhyme. Actually, they can be somewhat tricky to invent. One day, Sean was working from home and he did something really intelligent. So I called him a clever beaver. He said, "You mean 'clever lever' or 'cleaver beaver'?' But no, the near-rhyme just had to make its debut. It was "clever beaver". Sean's brother Isaac liked the phrase so much, he even found a picture to go with it. From then on, near-rhyme phrase coiners across the valley have been busy thinking of new pieces to add to the collection.

The Collection:
- clever beaver
- funny monkey
- amazing raisin
- catherine bathroom (credit goes to Camber Hess)
- (I know there are more I can't remember right now...I'll add them later.)

2 comments:

  1. I'm not sure I actually get it, but keep on stretching your minds for the great poetry that is aching to get out of your souls and this world will be a far better place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tee hee! I went all the way back to the beginning of your blog, and who is this guy??? He cracks me up-I'd like to meet him in person!

    ReplyDelete